- Professor Harry Messel: Harry Messel was a renowned physicist and educator who made a significant impact on science education in Australia. He founded the Science Foundation for Physics at the University of Sydney, which helped to revolutionize science education in the country. Messel also established the International Science School, which brings together talented science students from around the world to learn from leading scientists. Messel passed away in 2019, but his legacy lives on through the many students he inspired and the programs he established.
- Leon Gath: Leon Gath is a local hero who has made significant contributions to the community through his work in social justice and human rights. He was instrumental in establishing the Mornington Peninsula Human Rights Group, which works to promote and protect human rights both locally and globally. Gath has also been a vocal advocate for refugee and asylum seeker rights, and has worked to promote cultural diversity and inclusion in the community.
- Graeme Pitkethly: Graeme Pitkethly is a former mayor of Mornington and a local hero who has made significant contributions to the town through his work in community service. He was instrumental in establishing the Mornington Community Contact Centre, which provides support and assistance to residents in need. Pitkethly has also been involved in many other community initiatives, including the Rotary Club and the Nepean Hospital Foundation.
- Tania de Jong: Tania de Jong is a local hero who has made significant contributions to the community through her work in music, entrepreneurship, and social enterprise. She founded the Creative Innovation Global conference, which brings together leaders from around the world to explore innovation, creativity, and social impact. De Jong is also a renowned soprano and has performed at many international events, including the World Economic Forum and the United Nations.
- Peter Hitchener: Peter Hitchener is a local hero who has made significant contributions to the community through his work in journalism and broadcasting. He is a well-known news anchor for Channel Nine Melbourne and has been a trusted source of news and information for many years. Hitchener has also been involved in many community initiatives, including the Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal and the Lort Smith Animal Hospital.
- Tracey Cooper-Lavery: Tracey Cooper-Lavery is a local hero who has made significant contributions to the community through her work in education and social justice. She is the principal of Mornington Secondary College and has been instrumental in establishing a culture of inclusion and diversity at the school. Cooper-Lavery has also been involved in many community initiatives, including the Mornington Peninsula Shire’s Reconciliation Action Plan and the Raising the Bar for Refugee Education program.
These are just a few examples of the many local heroes who have made significant contributions to the Mornington community. Each of these individuals has left a lasting impact on the town and its people, and their legacies will continue to inspire future generations. Whether through their work in science, social justice, community service, entrepreneurship, broadcasting, or education, these local heroes have shown what can be achieved through dedication, hard work, and a commitment to making the world a better place.