Today, fishing remains an important activity in the region, with many anglers taking advantage of the peninsula’s diverse fishing opportunities.
Fishing in Mornington Peninsula is not just about catching fish; it’s also about experiencing the beauty of the coastal waters and the surrounding landscapes. The area offers many scenic spots for fishing, including beautiful beaches and stunning rock formations. Anglers can also enjoy watching dolphins, seals, and other marine life in their natural habitat.
It’s important to note that there are regulations and guidelines for fishing in Mornington Peninsula to ensure the sustainability of fish populations. Anglers must have a fishing license, and there are limits on the number and size of fish that can be caught.
Here are some of the best spots for fishing in Mornington Peninsula:
- Sorrento Pier: Sorrento Pier is one of the most popular fishing spots in the area, with a variety of fish species available, including snapper, whiting, and squid. The pier is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, making it an ideal spot for night fishing.
- Flinders Pier: Located on the western side of Mornington Peninsula, Flinders Pier is another excellent fishing spot. The pier offers easy access to deep water, making it a popular spot for catching snapper, whiting, and squid.
- Rye Pier: Rye Pier is a popular fishing spot, particularly during the warmer months when the fish are more active. The pier offers easy access to deeper waters, making it an excellent spot for catching snapper and flathead.
- Portsea Pier: Portsea Pier is a picturesque fishing spot, with stunning views of Port Phillip Bay. The pier offers easy access to deeper waters, making it an excellent spot for catching snapper, whiting, and squid.
- Mornington Pier: Located in the heart of Mornington, the pier is a popular fishing spot for locals and tourists. The pier offers easy access to shallow waters, making it an excellent spot for catching garfish, squid, and whiting.
In addition to the fishing opportunities, the peninsula also offers several fishing-related activities for visitors to enjoy, including seafood cooking classes, fish and chips tours, and even fishing-themed accommodation.